Wednesday 4 September 2013

The times they are a changing

Well there we were madame and I in M&S Brent Cross when we espy a rather lovely suit, ladies of course. I get the jacket and try it on, perfect and walk off to find a mirror. Nothing unusual in that. No? Ah well read on.
We wander the shop and find on a mannequin a rather nice parka jacket, waisted and with furry collar. Off we trot to find it. Once found I try one on then again hunt down a mirror. Nothing unusual in that. No? Then read on.
While madame goes off to pay for her purchase I attempt to leave but am waylaid by the Limited Collection and find rather nice jumper, a lovely little black sleeveless dress and some fab trousers all of which just begged to be held up in front of me and this had to be repeated when madame showed up. Nothing unusual in that. No?
We wander off and wind up in John Lewis. Madame goes off to be measured for a bra and I go a wandering and eventually arrive at the sunglasses. I peruse and find nothing takes my fancy until I see them. Two pairs actually, I try them on, fabulous even in male mode. Once madame has paid for her purchase I drag her to see them both a Breakfast at Tiffany's Audrey Hepburn look alike, one Chanel at £386 and one Dior at £376. I put them on a madame nods her approval to both while we chat to an assistant. Nothing unusual in that. No?
Well dear reader there is not so much something unusual as something remarkable. Time was when we had to find a corner for a furtive assessment and trying on was almost verboten especially if we were not buying but now its done in the middle of the shop in full view. The times they are a changing indeed. Of course some of it is down to my dressing more appropriately and modestly but to a far greater degree madame's acceptance.
So with so much time on my hands today what with her getting measured in M&S and John Lewis who manage to come up with different measurements and her queuing to pay, especially in John Lewis who were experiencing a system failure I was able to observe my fellow shoppers and yes they do stop and look. Ooo I'd love to know what it is about me that is so fascinating. No I still haven't summoned up the courage to ask someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment