Sunday 12 May 2013

Its been a long time

Now as friends and relatives know, sport is an anathema to me. I live in a world of total and utter ignorance of its goings on. Indeed, unless I not been told I would not have had the slightest inkling that it was the cup-final yesterday. So it came as a surprise, nay shock when I see the announcement this morning that Wigan, in my ignorance, was not just somewhere ooop north that played rugby, thanks to the wonderful voice of Eddie Waring, actually had a football team. Not only that but their name is Wigan Athletic. Now dear reader in my youth any team that had athletic or academicals after it meant it was either amateur or resided on the outer limits of the professional game. So to see that they had beaten Manchester City in a cup-final made me take a step back in amazement ! Not only that, but I actually had to read some of the story to dispel my preconceived notions. Goodness me, they are actually quite famous, just goes to show, ignorance is sometimes bliss or not as the case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment